Subject: Re: I believe your VA numbers
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:52:37 -0500

Stephen Turnbull wrote:

>    >> Of course the purchasing power and name recognition from the
>    >> stock price will help increase their real value, but the Linux
>    >> bubble is going to pop at some point and it will NOT be pretty.

>Yup.  But the people at VAR don't have to take those numbers
>seriously; if they are planning for the eventual "pop" they can ride
>it out.

That is not what concerns me.

What concerns me is that a lot of people are hearing the word
"Linux" today because of stock valuations.  But a few months
from now when the 6 month lockout period following the current
IPOs end if a few of the new millionaires and billionaires seek
to cash in, the supply could suddenly rise.  The resulting pop
could well result in a lasting consumer impression that Linux
was this huge flash in the pan where everyone lost their shirts.

That kind of impression could be a hard one to get around.  And
that is the ugliness that I am concerned about.  (In addition
to the financial rollercoaster.)

Regards,
Ben