Subject: Re: Pitching a "Big Tent" for Free Software
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:11:08 -0500 (EST)

Ben Tilly writes:
> PS Speaking of internationalization, I am betting that it is 5-10 years on
> the outside until we see a scripting language (or macro language) with the
> source-code written in Unicode in your choice of language.  (With the set
> of keywords translated to be a set of words in your favorite language, and
> a minimal grammar.)

Visual Basic is a scripting language (or macro language) currently
translates its keywords to your favorite language.  Microsoft has been
big on this Unicode thing; I wouldn't be surprised if it supported
scripts written in Unicode.

People I've heard mention this nifty feature, language-specific
keywords, have universally complained about it; it means
(a) it's hard for them to interact with code written by speakers of
    other languages (e.g. call it, be called by it)
(b) it's much harder for them to understand code written by speakers of
    other languages
(c) their skills are less portable

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!