Subject: Re: Here's a-what I'm a-gonna do.
From: Chris Maeda <maeda@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:00:58 PDT

At 12:35 AM 6/11/96 PDT, Brian J. Fox wrote:
>I disaggree.  As I stated originally, he is not giving his labor away,
>he is adding value to the hardware that he is selling.

There are two different things here -- the value Russ is selling
and the revenue he receives.  In the current business model, Russ
develops free drivers for hardware that he sells at the same price
as everyone else.

He is definitely adding value to the hardware.  However, because
he is not getting any more revenue than anyone else in the market
for the same piece of hardware, he is giving his labor away.  Since
his competitors do not have to pay for driver development, they
have lower cost structures which they can use to drive price
competition or to just sit back and enjoy higher margins from
Russ's free labor.

I'm sure the free advertising is great, but you're still just selling
your time and you have a very limited supply of that.

  This is not