Subject: Re: Novel anti-software-patent article
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:16:19 -0500

> The pharmecutical industry would scream bloody murder.  With
> such risky investments and long lead times, they really do need
> to achieve very high multiples of dollars/success.

OK, assuming the law allowed sufficient return to make it worth the
effort.  My point was to avoid "runaway profits" and determine a
reasonable amount before the government decides the public would be
better served if the patent were public.  We currently have a time
limit; this is just another type of limit.  It still needs to be
reasonable to work.