Subject: Re: Novel anti-software-patent article
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:51:40 -0500

Crispin writes:

> I normally advocate abolishing software patents, because of the
> spiral of stupidly obvious patents that have been granted.  However,
> this article has caused me to reconsider this position.

To get the public benefit win you're looking for, you need a patent
office with common sense and a justice system that works for
individuals.  We don't have those now, or we wouldn't be in the mess
we're in.  Before you count patents as a win, you first have to
propose politically viable plans to reform the patent office and the
justice system.  If you can't reform them, then we're better off
without poorly-administered software monopolies.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu