Subject: Re: Novel anti-software-patent article
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:43:38 -0500

> > I wish copyright expired like trademarks, due to lack of use.
>
> If I do a really good job, that text can still be useful far in the
> future.

Then the copyright *wouldn't* expire due to lack of use.

The part that really bugs me personally is when a company sits on a
copyrighted item for ages, "just in case it becomes valuable in the
future".  They're hoarding, with no apparent benefit to either the
general public, their customers, or their shareholders.  Except, of
course, in the cases where the property *does* become valuable later,
but I'd rather copyright law encourage them to make that value happen
earlier, rather than later.