Subject: Re: Here's a-what I'm a-gonna do.
From: nelson@crynwr.com
Date: 11 Jun 1996 11:44:58 -0000

Chris Maeda writes:
 > I don't see how this works.  If Russ charges the same as everyone
 > else to sell the hardware then he is giving his labor away.  If he
 > charges more, then someone can undercut him.  What if the driver
 > get distributed for free and people buy the hardware from the
 > bargain basement mail order houses (like they do now for everything
 > else)?

That is a possibility, but the hardware is rather obscure and there
are not many resellers at this point.  It's not incredibly popular in
the DOS/Windows world, but that's mostly because the manufacturer
doesn't know how to market it.  I wouldn't consider this plan for
hardware that some number of Linux users already have, but who have no
driver (e.g. any Xircom product).

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | It's no mistake to err on
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the side of freedom.