Subject: So what is an FSB anyway?
From: Christopher Maeda <cmaeda@MC8.MACH.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 93 12:59:45 EST

   Date: Wed, 03 Feb 93 15:34:47 -0800
   From: gnu@CYGNUS.COM

   It does *not* include BSDI software -- which is exactly as free as USL
   Unix.  If you pay the source license fee, you can use the source on
   one machine, and share changes with everyone else who's done so.  If
   you didn't pay the source license fee, you are unable to read or
   modify the software.  In either case you don't get a right to
   *distribute* the software.  (USL charges $100,000 for the source
   license; BSDI charges $1,200, but the terms are the same.)

I think it's a little unfair to lump BSDI in with USL.  I see little
*practical* difference between free software and inexpensive
proprietary software that comes with source code, especially when you
factor in the hidden costs of free software.  However, I won't bring
this up on the fsb list anymore.

So we know how to do free software business by selling support for
free software, doing contract programming, and cutting cd-roms.  What
other kinds of free software businesses are there?