Subject: Re: Novel anti-software-patent article
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:56:11 -0500

> <RANT>
> Why does everybody hate stockholders so much?  Aren't you all mostly
> stockholders yourselves?
> </RANT>

I wouldn't invest in a company that didn't consider the "big picture",
including both giving back to the community and maintaining good
relations with the general public.  It's my personal opinion that
companies that don't consider such factors will do poorer than those
that do in the long run, and I want my money to indirectly help the
common good, of which I'm a part.

>     precedence, but what put a GUI on my mother's kitchen table was a
>     combination of the marketing muscles of IBM and Microsoft.

That's not innovation, that's service.  In such a case, the only way
to compete is to be *better*, not just to be *also*.  Copyrighting or
patenting such service would be like me patenting the fact that I'm
tall or strong (I'm not saying I *am*, just an example).

While I don't agree that companies have a "natural right" to compete
for services, I also don't agree that the leaders need government
protection against competition either.