Subject: Re: decompilation
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:32:43 -0500 (EST)

Bernard Lang writes:
>   Most software inventions cannot be kept secret, since the software
> has to be distributed, and can always be decompiled in due time... and
> always is when relevant (few companies will respect the law in that
> respect, even now).

At least in the US, and I believe in the EU, and now in Australia, the
law explicitly permits decompilation to learn how software works, at
least for purposes of interoperability.  Respecting the law in that
respect would consist of not attempting to deceive one's customers into
believing they do not have that right.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)