Subject: Re: New encryption regulations
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:26:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
> After a couple of conversations, more questions playing with the edges of
> the rule.

   Have you been following the Benson case in california?  (Actually, if
anyone has any recent updates of that case, I'd be interested in hearing
about it).

> How about shipping a binary with a dis-assembler?  The binary is just your
> source-code in a particular compressed form, right?
    It's in a translated form that's encoded in a particular way (using
binary opcodes instead of ASCII).

> Heck, what is a compiler?

   A compiler is a translator between two different languages (usually
algorithmically parseable).  Usually the target language is some flavor of
assembly, but this isn't necessary.
  I'm assuming these questions were rhetorical, but I just can't resist
giving simple answers to complex questions.

Lynn