Subject: Re: Request for Info: Edata Corporation
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 15:40 PDT

> I just got a nasty brochure from these scum in the mail, replete with
> a photo of a real stick and carrot subtitled "Your Choice".
>
> These are the creatures that hold patent #4,528,643: "System for
> Reproducing Information in Material Objects at a Point of Sale
> Location".  They claim that this patent covers any downloading of
> information, after payment arrangement, including both online download
> and delivery in e.g., CD Roms.

> Does anyone know of companies successfully litigating against these
> monsters, or have any other useful info?

I too got one of the brochures, and so did several other companies I know.
I haven't read the patent claims carefully yet, but a preliminary reading
indicated that (not surprisingly) the actual scope is a good deal narrower
than what the cover note claims.  I asked my attorney if she knew anything
about this matter, and she said:

>     our patent litigation people have not had any direct dealing with the
>     patent.  They hear that the owners are aggressively going after
>     people.  There was supposed to be some motion for summary judgement or
>     argument on it back East soon.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help put these people where they
belong (behind bars would be my first choice).

--

L. Peter Deutsch          |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave.  | tel. +1-415-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-415-322-1734