Subject: Linux CNC control
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:35:10 -0500

skud+usenet@netizen.com.au (Kirrily 'Skud' Robert) writes:

> Scuse my lack of TLA lookup facilities, but CNC?

Say you want to manufacture a few copies of a widget, such as the
belt-clip pager-sized clamshell case for an Itsy-type Linux box.  You
should be able to draw the case in a Computer Aided Design (CAD)
program, plan how to cut it out of a solid block of plastic with a
Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) program, and execute that plan by
driving a sharp rotating cutter around with a Computer Numerical
Control (CNC) program.

This is mostly a solved problem.  The machine tools to do this fit on
a desktop and cost under $5K.  The software to drive them is either on
the wrong platform, far too expensive, stupid, source-closed, or all
of those.  I want to write the software I would want to use, for
Linux, and get paid for doing so.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu