Subject: Re: DiBona, Allman, Tiemann, O'Reilly, Perens interview
From: Mark Shewmaker <mark@primefactor.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:39:09 -0500

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 11:19:47AM -0800, Michael A. Olson wrote:
> Wired interviewed Chris DiBona (VA Linux), Eric Allman (Sendmail),
> Michael Tiemann (Red Hat), Tim O'Reilly (O'Reilly), and Bruce Perens
> (LinuxCap) yesterday.  The writeup is at
>
> 	http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,33853,00.html
>
> Their concerns for Open Source:  patents, zealous enforcement of
> proprietary IP rights, and too much money.

Just as a quick FYI, the Open Patent License (www.openpatents.org)
is intended to address the first two problems.  The problem of having
too much money, alas, is something that the world has not yet figured
out a solution to.  :-)

I want the Open Patent License to address not only problems caused by
(software) patents, but also those caused by other types of IP that act
similarly to patents, such as user-interface copyrights and trade dress
restrictions, reverse-engineering restrictions, etc.  For the moment I'm
calling these patent-like IPs "PLIPs"; hopefully someone will come up
with a better name at some point.

Ideally things will be set up so it's advantageous for most patent
holders to license their patents and PLIPs under the OPL, so that
over time fewer and fewer patents and PLIPs will be causing problems
and roadblocks for free software and proprietary software producers.

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark@primefactor.com