Subject: Open Source and Government agencies
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:05:43 +0900 (JST)

    Tim> I just recently got this query from a customer, and wondered
    Tim> if anyone on this list had any comments, based on experience
    Tim> with government agencies.  My inclination is to suggest he do
    Tim> what Larry did, which is just to do it, but it sounds like
    Tim> he's already asked his higher ups, so that is not an option.

If you look at the Artistic License, sections 3c and 4c, you'll see
that the code to Perl is so close to being in the public domain as to
make no difference.  The only costs to someone who wants to make a
proprietary version of Perl are (1) they may not call the executables
"perl" etc, and (2) they must supply a CD-ROM (or whatever
distribution media) containing Perl.  This may be how Larry Wall got
past the government requirements.