Subject: Re: W3C including proprietary tags in next html
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:13:04 +0100

Hi,

I copied this message to W3C executives whom I consider as friends,
and who have given ample public proof of their good faith with regard
to such matters, whether open standards or free software (I am not
giving their names because I had no time to ask them for permission,
even though they are not the kind to voice opinions anonymously).

  I do not reproduce the replies, which are both in French, but the
gist is that James Salsman account of the situation is a complete
misrepresentation of actual facts.

 A later message pointed me to a contribution on a W3C mailing list,
that was sent in today, and adresses this issue.
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Feb/0387.html

  If anyone in the list wishes more clarification on this matter, I'll
be happy to pass the request along.

Cordialement

   Bernard Lang

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 10:06:16AM -0500, Jean Camp wrote:
> Forwarded from James
>

> PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY -- especially in Mac and Linux communities
>
> Thursday evening I spoke with a member of the W3C HTML Working
> Group who removed all my remaining doubt that the HTML WG has any
> serious support for open, non-proprietary web form upload standards
> for non-wintel platforms.  The HTML WG keeps including Microsoft's
> OBJECT catch-all element tag, even in "scaled down" versions of
> HTML, but refuses to support the non-proprietary device upload
> proposal.  Your help is needed to correct this situation.
>
> Please read and endorse this petition:  http://www.bovik.org/devup-petition
>
> We need as many people as possible to request these features and
> support for the standard.  Thank you for your help with this effort.
>
> Cheers,
> James Salsman

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX