Subject: Re: Open Software Description (OSD) format
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:03:38 +0100

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 09:08:36AM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Bernard Lang wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 03:00:30PM -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
> > > In any case, I sent a note to Arthur van Hoff, asking about the legal
> > > status of the proposal.  He was encouraging:
> > >
> > >    Anyone is allowed to make use of OSD as far as I
> > >    know. It is a proposal for an open standard, it
> > >    would be silly if it were not useable by others.
> > >
> > > but my efforts to get an official response from W3C have been ignored.
> > > I would love to see W3C become friendlier to the Open Source community;
> > > anyone have contacts there that might be willing to start a dialog?
> > >

> > I know for a fact that many are friendly to the Open Source community;
> >   ... but overworked
> >
> > and remember that the tune is called by those who pay the piper,
> > whatever the piper's own choice might have been.
>
> Which is exactly why the piper should not be paid, W3 Cartel is an
> inapporpriate body to own standards for anything useful and the IETF is
> where its at.

Well, I am probably not the most competent to reply, but I suspect
that thing are a bit more complicated. Corporate power probably were
about to take control anyway, and I believe we do get lots of
moderation on that control from the current pipers ...
  or ...
     Don't shoot the pianist, he is doing his best

(I do not remember the exact sentence, but then, I never lived in the
wild west)

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX