Subject: Re: Patents and Amazon?
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:27:17 -0800

At 11:44 AM -0500 3/10/00, Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
>How seriously are people taking Jeff Bezos' comments?
>
>Does anyone believe that he has a chance?  Whether or not he does, what is
>the likely impact on free software?  Are there any suggestions he should
>take to Congress about patents that he has not considered?

Congress tends to listen to folks with pots of money; they also listen
to movers and shakers in the e-commerce world.  Jeff is both, so there
is a good chance he could get an audience.  The current software patent
situation needs all the help it can get, so I'm taking the possibility
quite seriously.

Any work that can be done to organize lists of resources for such a
hearing could be very useful.  Tim O'Reilly is probably the best guy
to be handed this list, as he is quite clueful and likely to be part
of the proceedings.

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm