Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:09:10 -0500

Ben Laurie wrote:
>Rich Morin wrote:
>>
>> I have been asked to find some reviewers with expertise on applying Open
>> Source technology to e-commerce.  They would look over manuscript drafts,
>> make useful comments, etc.  If this is one of your areas of expertise and
>> you might be interested in helping out (little fame; less money :-), drop
>> me a line (including a precis of your relevant qualifications).
>
>I'm intrigued to know _why_ anyone should find this attractive?

Oh I know the answer to that.  I am just eternally amused that academics
tend to believe that non-academics should share their value system.

For an academic (of course) working as a reviewer is part of what makes
the whole publish or perish system spin.  By reviewing papers they
establish connections of value to their future careers and can guide the
subject in ways that benefit the clique that they are in.

What the benefit is for a non-academic is a little more nebulous though.

Hence my amusement...

Cheers,
Ben