Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 13 Mar 2000 15:18:06 -0800

   Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:57:11 +0000
   From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>

   Rich Morin wrote:

   > I have been asked to find some reviewers with expertise on applying Open
   > Source technology to e-commerce.  They would look over manuscript drafts,
   > make useful comments, etc.  If this is one of your areas of expertise and
   > you might be interested in helping out (little fame; less money :-), drop
   > me a line (including a precis of your relevant qualifications).

   I'm intrigued to know _why_ anyone should find this attractive?

Do you mean why anybody would be interested in doing book reviews?

I like doing book reviews (I've already told Rich).  I've been doing
them for years.  I read computer books anyhow, and I take brief notes
on them anyhow.  Reading them early, getting free books and token
payment, and getting an acknowledgement in the book are all things I
get from book reviews for doing something which I would have done
anyhow.

I even got a back cover quote on one of the late lamented Rich
Steven's books; as one of my friends said when I showed it off, it's
nearly as impressive as writing a book, and it takes a lot less time.

Ian