Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:10:23 +0000

Lynn Winebarger wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
>
> > Oh I know the answer to that.  I am just eternally amused that academics
> > tend to believe that non-academics should share their value system.
> >
> > For an academic (of course) working as a reviewer is part of what makes
> > the whole publish or perish system spin.  By reviewing papers they
> > establish connections of value to their future careers and can guide the
> > subject in ways that benefit the clique that they are in.
> >
>     Man, this is a cynical view of the motivation of academics.  Did you
> intend to malign every academic, or just the ones you know for whom this
> is true?

I'm a (kind of ex-) academic, and I find it to be very true.  I also do not
feel maligned.  What's wrong with it?

Of course, I'm also a life long cynic, in the Ambrose Bierce tradition that a
cynic is a dastardly fellow who sees things as they are, instead of as they
ought be.  The above description is a highly accurate and predictive model
for the way academics behave, so I like it.  I view this as consistent with a
pursuit of scientific truth :-)

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com