Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:29:57 -0500

Lynn Winebarger wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
>
>> Oh I know the answer to that.  I am just eternally amused that academics
>> tend to believe that non-academics should share their value system.
>>
>> For an academic (of course) working as a reviewer is part of what makes
>> the whole publish or perish system spin.  By reviewing papers they
>> establish connections of value to their future careers and can guide the
>> subject in ways that benefit the clique that they are in.
>>
>    Man, this is a cynical view of the motivation of academics.  Did you
>intend to malign every academic, or just the ones you know for whom this
>is true?

What makes you think this is maligning...?

The truth is that I can, of course, only cariacature those corners of
academia that I saw.  However of those corners this is indeed a fairly
accurate description of what I saw in action.

There are good reasons that I am not in academia.  You will have to
trust me when I say that lack of ability is not among those reasons...

Cheers,
Ben