Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:52:43 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

Although it's somewhat different from Rich Morin's proposal, I believe
that reusable software modules will never happen on a grand scale
until something like the academic review process can be instituted for
software professionals.  I don't really see how this can be done
outside of an open source environment.

However, some large companies are sufficiently large that they could
create an approximation to an internal open source ecology without
giving up proprietary rights.  And as Greg Aharonian pointed out in
the post quoted by Karsten, this could also be implemented in a
proprietary framework via the patent system.

Of course, we wouldn't want _that_, would we?