Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:16:38 +0100

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 03:52:43AM +0000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Although it's somewhat different from Rich Morin's proposal, I believe
> that reusable software modules will never happen on a grand scale
> until something like the academic review process can be instituted for
> software professionals.  I don't really see how this can be done
> outside of an open source environment.
>
> However, some large companies are sufficiently large that they could
> create an approximation to an internal open source ecology without
> giving up proprietary rights.  And as Greg Aharonian pointed out in
> the post quoted by Karsten, this could also be implemented in a
> proprietary framework via the patent system.
>
> Of course, we wouldn't want _that_, would we?

it would not work ... despite the pitiful exchange that just took
place, a lot of academics are just honestly contributing, the same way
lots of business people do an honest job.
  Academics do lots of things for free... despite what was said, often
without any kind of reward... (and businesses do too, occasionally)
but contribute for free to something that is wholly owned by someone
else at the expense of society ... that is silly.
       That would be virtue encouraging vice.

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX