Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:30:15 +0000

"William C. Cheng" wrote:

>   | Hang on now; this personal attack seems uncalled for.
> And categorically attack a whole group is called for?

What categorical attack are you referring to?

>   | Tilly's characterizations of math academia seem entirely credible
>   | to me:  they are quite consistent with my experience in CS
>   | academia.
> Why don't you too just have a private party celebrating the fact
> that you share the same point of view?  Speak for yourself and keep
> it to yourself if you want to degrade a whole category of people.

Non sequetor.  I *am* speaking for myself.  No one has degraded a whole category of
people.  I've been a post doc or a professor for 5 years, and Tilly's
characterization is accurate in my experience.  I'm sorry if you find it
disappointing that the reality of academia doesn't live up to your expectations.
If you can't deal with that, then you'll find *real* academic pressure very
difficult to deal with.

>   | Lets try and stay civilized here.
> Even if you find his nonsense agreeable, why do you have to publically
> degrade people in academia?  Please be civilized yourself.

I *am* in academia, and I don't feel degraded.  That's the point:  it is *not* a
degrading stereotype, it is an accurate charcterization.

ObFSB:  would FSB proprietors feel "maligned" if someone characterized their
marketing activities through personal networking as "establish connections of value
to their future careers and can guide the subject in ways that benefit the clique
that they are in"?  If so, why?  If not, then why is it "maligning" to characterize
academic networking like that?

Crispin, who is perhaps too practical for academia :-)
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org
                  JOBS!  http://immunix.org/jobs.html