Subject: Re: Open Source in E-Commerce
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:29:59 +0000

Jean Camp wrote:

> I find it extremely interesting to find this discussion of academic values
> on this list, esp because open source values are so very close to academic
> values. After all, was not his description very much like a request for
> code donations:

Good :-)  I'm glad that this is seen as relevant.

> What is academia good at?
> innovation
> certification
> candidate evaluation (welllllll, in theory)
> building meme*-based communities  which reinforcing themselves

Agreed.

> What is open source good at?
> innovation
> building a user base

I actually dispute that.  Open source has not shown any significant ability to
innovate.  What it has shown is an ability to develop/productize/deliver
results faster and with higher quality than proprietary development models.

Innovation doesn't really come from either closed or open source models, it
comes from academia.  Note that I'm using "innovation" here strictly:
introducing new ideas that have not been considered before.  To be innovative,
you must be aware of what has been done before, and if you look at the
literature at all, you realize that a *great* deal has been done before.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org