Subject: Re: Do I owe you money?
From: Keith Bostic <bostic@abyssinian.sleepycat.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:16:13 -0500 (EST)

> Now is there reasonably anything that you can do to allow the kinds of
> uses that you want of your excellent software, while blocking these
> slimy e-commerce people?

Yes, copyrights can be very explicit about what they permit and
don't permit.  But, you'd likely no longer be compliant with the
Open Source Definition, as it attempts to disallow distinctions
based on type of use.

>> Also, some licenses explicitly disallow this kind of end-run, with phrases
>> like "uses the software" rather than "links to the software".
>
> True.  And I hope that people developing applications for public
> servers (eg websites) are careful to not use such software!  For
> instance if I used your dbm in a search engine, and then Apple added
> my search engine to Sherlock, someone could get into trouble and it
> will probably not be Apple...

No, it would be Apple.  Berkeley DB is used in many places in
public servers of many kinds, including search engines.  There's
no restriction on that kind of use in the DB license.

Regards,
--keith

Keith Bostic
Sleepycat Software Inc.		bostic@sleepycat.com