Subject: Re: Patents and Amazon?
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:47:28 +0100

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 05:15:31PM -0800, Tim O'Reilly wrote:

> That being said, I think that the most fundamental tool we have at our
> disposal doesn't depend on changes in patent regulation or new laws, but
> one something that is very much under OUR control:  we have got to
> create some kind of prior art database that serves as an easily
> searchable record of our collective memory.  This might include
> technical papers from organizations like ACM, IEEE, and Usenix, as well
> as various conferences, but it should also include searchable
> documentation, usenet, and the web.

I do not see the point ... I do not wish to spend my life writing down
every stupid idea that comes to my mind in fear that someone might
patent it. I did take the pain of writing down significant ideas ...
but I would not even dream of having to do it for the likes of Bezos'
patents.

You will just be reinforcing the patent system, without really helping
any. They will just have an alibi for being stupid.

Bezos reply was a smart PR move ... nothing more that I can see.

Bernard Lang

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX