Subject: Re: Starting out on the road
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:19:19 -0800

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 12:12:19PM -0500, Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

> My take?
>
> Don't do a distribution.  That would have been a good thing a while ago,
> but that space is getting filled.

Half agreement.  GP distros are passe.  Specialized distros,
particularly in embedded or specilized application areas are more
meaningfull.

> One thing that successful businesses do is sharply differentiate themselves
> from possible competitors.  Look for a niche that needs filling but is not
> currently filled.  Here are a few ideas.
>
> A lot of people have cable-modems.  Not a lot of them are secure.  Very few
> people have the skills to secure their machines.  A drop-in firewall
> product designed for the home user is a possible winner.

Ben's seen a few of my posts on this over the past year or so.  I
honestly thought that security issues would be a much larger story than
they were last year, but cable/DSL installations are only starting to
balloon now.  A solid approach IMO would be a coupled
technological/insurance approach, essentially offering a cut in
liability coverage for installing the best of breed firewalling
technology.  Your business partners would be ISPs and insurance
companies.  See also:  http://www.netwolves.com/.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/