Subject: Re: fixing bugs....
From: Keith Bostic <bostic@abyssinian.sleepycat.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:09:35 -0500 (EST)

> Well a lot of free software projects find it easier to just not
> document and then write the O'Reilly book. :-)
>
> Unfortunately you already have pretty nice documentation.

Why thank you!  I suppose we could always remove it, or only
provide parts of it with a CDROM purchase. :-)

> May I suggest that you think about an inherently confusing add in?  I
> do not mean that you write an add-in and make it confusing.  I mean
> that you enter a closely related space (eg compete with BEA's
> transaction manager) where the field is such that people like to create
> complex and messy projects.  Create good software, and make a point of
> offering consulting services to people trying to get their systems
> working...

Sleepycat has so-far avoided the consulting business.  I think
consulting is like support: revenues don't scale as well as
licensing revenues, and you have to grow bigger to get the same
income.  In addition, we're distributed (which makes managing
more than a few people difficult), and we like being small, so
there are other reasons to avoid a personnel increase.

--keith