Subject: Re: Boston-area: IT dep't seeks FSB or FS-friendly startup
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:05:21 -0700
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:05:21 -0700
On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 05:29:13PM -0700, windowsfreezone wrote:

> I'm a member of the I.T./sysadmin group at a .edu.  We've all been
> keeping headhunters at bay with wooden sticks for quite a  while.
> But in this economy we'd be fools not to move into the private sector.
> So the five core people have decided to move on as a team.
>
> Ideally we'd like to find a funded startup that wants to have both
> solid internet services and useable business systems in place *before*
> the non-technical staff start pouring in and bring an ad-hoc collection
> of windows boxes, exchange servers, and other bad ideas with them.
> Several of us participate in free software projects and wouldn't want
> to work anyplace where that would be an issue.  An actual FSB would of
> course be perfect.

[...]

> The "windowsfreezone@mit.edu" team

I've been reflecting on this over the past few days.

First -- this situation sounds vaguely familiar somehow, as if I'd seen
a nearly identical story elsewhere.  The "moving as a team" theme.
Anyone hear it before?

This is also one of two stories I've heard of a set of techies looking
to land in an organization where they could focus on the technical
aspects, avoid the business/corporate distractions, and be well
compensated to boot -- without moving from their current digs, if
possible.

While the idea of moving as a team from an academic to a corporate
environment has its attractions, there's the other side as well.  Having
worked in both environments, I can say that one of my most enjoyable,
rewarding, and attractive work environments was at university research
center.  Pay stank, of course, and I left shortly afterwards for a
startup I'd rather not talk about.

Fact is that there are certain aspects of the academic environment --
relative job security, comfortable work environment, collegial
atmosphere, fresh ideas -- which often are missing from the corporate
world, even in "with it" high-tech firms.

One option the team might want to consider is the option of going into
business for themselves.  This could even be done while maintaining at
least a level of involvement with their current employer.  When working
as a contractor I discussed this option with a co-worker.  It would take
the addition of a marketing person to the team -- either full time or a
commissioned outsourced person.  What you're aiming for is being the
boss in the relationship.

This post also reflects a portion of my own baised opinion that among
the avenues a Linux/Free Software -centric world will open is a larger
market for the free-agent consultant, whether that be as a developer or
as sysadmin/technical consultant.

$0.02

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>