Subject: Re: Differing IP laws
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:11:32 -0700
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:11:32 -0700
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 04:47:59PM -0400, Ben Tilly@trepp.com wrote:
> A co-worker asked me about this site:
>
> http://corvin.spb.ru/

(corrected URL)

> Clearly O'Reilly has to be rather unhappy about it.  But given differences
> between Russia and the US, I am not sure what they can do about it.  And
> the problem will only grow with the Internet.

I looked at a couple of the imprints last night.  Several (though not
all) seem to be out-of-print versions of books.  What's curious is that
this seems rather strongly to be HTML output of O'Reilly's own
formatting system -- these *are* the online versions of the books as
produced by O'Reilly.  Clearly, they're not published on O'Reilly's
site, and (I didn't check) the copyright terms may not allow for
republication.  The question of whether or not the books were intended
to be made available online or not.

I'm curious as to how the material got out, though.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]