Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 01:59:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Lynn>     It's too bad that's not on the agenda (at all).  As far
>     Lynn> as I can see they're only talking about breaking them up
>     Lynn> (and some conduct remedies in the interim).
>
> Excuse me?  I don't get the joke (if such it is) or the point (if
> you're serious).

    That the penalties proposed by the DOJ are hardly close to something
like nationalization.   Or for that matter, that we should feel sorry for
them, or that imposing sanctions on an entity that has broken the law is
unreasonable, or that even the thought of nationalization is unreasonable,
are all pretty ridiculous.
    In a country where we are willing to execute human beings for crimes
(note I am not saying I am either a proponent or opponent of such
measures, only noting the severity of the penalty), I find laughable the
notion that artificial legal entities, with no natural human rights,
should be above equally harsh penalties for breaking the law, or, for that
matter, that anyone would attach moral significance to it. It's
ludicrous.

   Not that that's on topic, but you did ask.

Lynn