Subject: Re: In defense of the market
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 19:07:34 +0200

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:01:41AM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Mark Rauterkus writes:
>  > Case in point: I'm seeing the government folks (Here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
>  > such as the Mayor greatly damage the free-market with governmental money for
>  > development efforts.
>
> I'd really like to keep this list centered on Free Software Business
> issues.  Discuss government money being used for development, sure,
> but keep it to issues like:
>   o the German government funding of GPG,
>   o the French government proposal to purchase only source-available
>     software (decidedly NOT the same as Open Source, since they accept
>     source escrow of proprietary software),

of course, and that is intentional... Open source should prevail by
its qualities, not by a legal decision.
  But there is also a statement that says that it must use public
standards, and that interoperability is a right. Hence OSS is always
possible.
  IMHO it does strike a proper balance.

BTW the proposal does not come from the government, but from 3 Deputies
(representatives), which is not exactly the same.

>   o the Chinese government "Red Flag" distribution of Linux, or
>   o the DARPA funding of BSD.
>
> --
> -russ nelson <sig@russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
> Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX