Subject: Re: In defense of the market
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:28:22 +0900 (JST)

    >> o the French government proposal to purchase only
    >> source-available software (decidedly NOT the same as Open
    >> Source, since they accept source escrow of proprietary
    >> software),

    Bernard> of course, and that is intentional... Open source should
    Bernard> prevail by its qualities, not by a legal decision.

OTOH, the state, as representative of society, may have an interest in
_investing_ in open source software, which after all is (by
definition) a public asset.  This may be a very cheap and effective
way of creating public goods.  ARPAnet, anyone?  Cheap at how many
hundred times the price?  :-)

    Bernard>   IMHO it does strike a proper balance.

Which is not to dispute your opinion, just to point out there may be
arguments for going farther.  (I note that the French government is a
leading proponent of "national champion" firms, and may therefore
consider that "public assets" embodied in a national champion may be
more valuable than "public assets" that are "too public.")