Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 06:21:29 -0700
Wed, 17 May 2000 06:21:29 -0700
Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> > http://www.redhat.com/about/2000/press_edk.html
>
> I wonder if $200-$600 is high enough that people are willing to
> download it instead of buy it, and low enough that a few people can
> coordinate the purchase of a copy, or donate it.
>
> A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu
> Brian Bartholomew - bb@wv.com - www.wv.com - Working Version, Cambridge, MA

As usual, I don't understand your point.  You can download this software
regardless of whether the price is $2 or $20 or $200.  It's freely
redistributable, so you can download it and post it on your favorite FTP site.
So the answer to your question-as-statements are "yes" to all of the above (and
yes to all the complementary cases as well).

If you pay $200 to Red Hat, you get something you cannot get by merely
downloading the bits: a commercial relationship with Red Hat.  Is that worth
$200?  Or $600?  Or $50,000?  Or more?  The market is telling us "yes".  Would
the market pay you $200 or $20 or $2 to download the identical bits from your
ISP or your website?  I don't know, but if so, please let us know!

["text/x-vcard" not shown]