Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:54:54 -0400

Stephen writes:

> Proprietors with Brian Bartholomew's tastes can of course eschew the
> shrink-wrap market (or adopt the "3M strategy" with open source
> shrink-wrap products: milk it while it's new, then "abandon" it ==
> support but don't waste good money by further developing it---I
> don't think he'd much approve of that strategy, either).

Boy, I haven't been communicating well.  The 3M strategy is one I
particularly like.  GNU ls(1) is not receiving active development,
because the problem it set out to solve has been solved.  The
developers left the factory (ftp server) running, because its costs
are negligible.  Volunteers have historically been willing to supply
porting/API drift maintenance.  Perhaps a few years from now, the next
burst of development effort for major new features in GNU ls should
work under whatever funding model inspired the first burst.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu