Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Brian Bartholomew <>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 07:33:32 -0400

Brian> A 3M strategy where the latest, selling version is proprietary,
Brian> with source available to customers, and old versions are GPL.

Stephen> Oh, OK.  This would have been unacceptable to the "old",
Stephen> Cygnus-bashing Brian.

I don't *think* my position has changed.  My complaint wasn't with
relatively-mildly-proprietary strategies, but with calling them "free
software" and claiming the social reputation I associated with charity
software.  Compared to most proprietary schemes, Cygnus looked great.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF)
Brian Bartholomew - - - Working Version, Cambridge, MA