Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:01:07 +0900 (JST)

    rn> Ian Lance Taylor writes:

    >> Good libre software can kick out the underpinnings of a market,
    >> making it hard for anybody to make money.

    rn> That's okay -- everyone gains from that.

Not according to Joseph Schumpeter, who argued rather convincingly
that monopoly rents supported much of the innovation seen in the
industrial revolution.

And technically it is not a theorem.  Free markets with libre software
may be the best available social policy (I like it a lot), but it is
conceivably not, since there is a broad class of examples (bearing
some resemblance to the real world) where it is not "first best".