Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:10:23 +0900 (JST)

    Crispin> That is interesting.  It could indicate at least two
    Crispin> things:

    Crispin>    * It might suggest that if an FSB originates a
    Crispin> product, the "first mover" and "we know this code best"
    Crispin> advantages are sufficient to keep other vendors out.

I think this is highly unlikely.  To be precise, I believe that such
advantages exist, but only in some segments.  FSBs will choose to
enter (what they judge to be) such segments.

However, I'm reviewing my priors about how common such segments are in
light of what Brian Behlendorf wrote about "welcoming" potential
rivals in related markets.  They may be far more common than I had
believed, given the flexibility of software.