Subject: Re: FSBs and client-server
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:14:16 -0700
Wed, 24 May 2000 22:14:16 -0700
On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 02:10:23PM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Tim O'Reilly writes:
>  > This is an example of the ways that code and "law" need to co-evolve, a
>  > position that is very well argued by Larry Lessig's book, Code and other
>  > Laws of Cyberspace (http://www.code-is-law.org).  (I highly recommend
>  > the book.  You can read my brief review of it in my weblog at
>  > http://tim.oreillynet.com.)
>
> I'm of two minds.  On the one hand, I can't plausibly criticize his
> ideas without reading them.  On the other hand, I don't want to lend
> one iota of credence to his ideas by purchasing the book.  God forbid
> it should be my purchase which gets him on any best-seller list.  If
> you're looking for a good book to read, go read  Law's Order  by David
> Friedman.

Russ and I have been a few more rounds than I care to remember on this
issue -- there's something fundamental about what he thinks is Lessig's
position which he absolutely cannot bear.  I can't say I was persuaded
by his argument.

In the event Russ would like to compare notes without affecting Lessig's
bestseller status, there was an interesting roundtable at the American
Prospect last month involving Lessig, Eric Raymond (representing the
Libertarian viewpoint), Nathan Newman, Jeff A. Taylor, and Jonathan
Band.  I found myself rooting more for Lessig than Raymond.

    http://www.americanprospect.org/controversy/open source/

And a conversation with Lawrence Lessig:
    http://www.americanprospect.org/webarchives/00-04/sobel-l-0428.html

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org