Subject: Re: FSB external software submission policies?
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:19:40 -0700
Thu, 25 May 2000 13:19:40 -0700
On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 02:19:26PM -0500, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> >   D.  "Postcard policy" -- require a hardcopy signed contract from
> >       developers stating terms under which submissions are accepted,
> >       rights granted by developer, certifications of authority to grant
> >       rights, and employer affidavit for works-for-hire if appropriate.
> >       Essentially a postcard which the developer can return to your
> >       legal department.
> >
> >   E.  "FSF/GNU copyright assignment policy" -- require assignment of
> >       copyright by developer to you or another organization such as the
> >       Free Software Foundation.
> >
>      What exactly is the difference between these 2?

Good question.

A postcard policy establishes a written record of an agreement.  The
agreement itself may be more or less than an assignment of copyright,
and in my mind, would tend to be language along the lines of:

  a permanent, nonrevocable, worldwide, nonexclusive, royalty-free, grant
  to use submitted code under the terms of the
  license.

...eg:  a licence grant, but not a transfer of copyright.

The postcard would also state that the contributor has rights to submit
any third-party code, might cover issues of patents, etc.  There's
decent language to filch from the Mozilla and other modern licenses.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]