Subject: Re: Licenses vs. public domain
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 15:25:04 -0400 (EDT)

Rich Morin writes:
> At 10:38 AM -0600 5/27/00, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:
> >...  Yet I am aware of only one libre software
> >project (the ISIP speech recognition system) that is actually public domain.
>
> There are certainly others.  TeX (and most TeX-related SW) is one example,
> Icon is another.

I seem to recall that Knuth was complaining about Slackware violating
his copyrights by distributing TeX with broken tfm files, causing
documents to suck when rendered.

AUCTeX is GPLed; teTeX is GPLed; hyperLaTeX is GPLed.

I can confirm that Icon is PD.  Speak Freely is also public domain.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)