Subject: Re: Licenses vs. public domain
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 27 May 2000 17:52:22 -0700

   Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:18:26 -0700
   From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>

   At 10:38 AM -0600 5/27/00, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:
   >...  Yet I am aware of only one libre software
   >project (the ISIP speech recognition system) that is actually public domain.

   There are certainly others.  TeX (and most TeX-related SW) is one example,

My recollection is that you are only permitted to call something TeX
if it can pass the TeX torture test.

That's still pretty close to public domain.

By the way, I'd like to suggest that arguments about libertarianism
not take place on this list.  I'm trying hard to not get involved
myself.  I have strong opinions about it, but I don't think this is
the place for them.

Ian