Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 01:24:10 -0700

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Crispin> That is interesting.  It could indicate at least two
>     Crispin> things:
>
>     Crispin>    * It might suggest that if an FSB originates a
>     Crispin> product, the "first mover" and "we know this code best"
>     Crispin> advantages are sufficient to keep other vendors out.
>
> I think this is highly unlikely.  To be precise, I believe that such
> advantages exist, but only in some segments.  FSBs will choose to
> enter (what they judge to be) such segments.

Really?  What kind of chump would choose to compete with the Abi guys on
AbiWord?  No one chooses to compete with RH on GNOME support (a half-way
case, as RH did not originate GNOME, but is the primary developer).

There is one example that I am aware of of a second enterprise competing with
the originator of some open source technology (the comapny that competecd
with Yodaiken on his RT/Linux technology) but I don't know of any others.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org