Subject: Re: Licenses vs. public domain
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:38:38 +0900 (JST)

    Elaine> I asserted last year that Perl was/is losing market share
    Elaine> in web design and such as tools which make the programming
    Elaine> easier are far more sexy.  Sure StoryServer is huge,
    Elaine> bloated and makes evil URLs but it has an environment
    Elaine> through which teams of people can publish content. I hope
    Elaine> the Visual IDE is one step to reclaiming that
    Elaine> territory. Storage is cheap, time isn't.

I hope I'm wrong, but my immediate reaction is that that is Pyrrhic
market share, to coin a phrase.

Because _that's not Perl_, it's merely compiler output that wannabe
Perl.  Perl is a source language, and although not exactly "God-
breathed,"[1] is yet "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and
training in righteousness."[2]  The output of StoryServer/Perl will be an
object language unreadable to mortals, will still contain evil URLs,
and will still be useless to human beings, even if GPLed.

Instead, the Visual IDE will be necessary to interpret the Perl it
produces.  If indeed its project files even contain any Perl---.doc
files hardly contain anything deserving of the appellation "text."

Footnotes:
[1]  Didn't ESR characterize Larry as a demigod, though?

[2]  And in another life I'm known as a strong detractor of Perl.
Strange bedfellows....  Yes, Simon, you may quote me on TLUG.

-