Subject: Re: Licenses vs. public domain
From: Shimpei Yamashita <shimpei@gol.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 23:22:09 +0900

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 01:38:38PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
["Visual Perl" potentially useful for winning back market share]

> I hope I'm wrong, but my immediate reaction is that that is Pyrrhic
> market share, to coin a phrase.
>
> Because _that's not Perl_, it's merely compiler output that wannabe
> Perl.  Perl is a source language, and although not exactly "God-
> breathed,"[1] is yet "useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and
> training in righteousness."[2]  The output of StoryServer/Perl will be an
> object language unreadable to mortals, will still contain evil URLs,
> and will still be useless to human beings, even if GPLed.
>
> Instead, the Visual IDE will be necessary to interpret the Perl it
> produces.  If indeed its project files even contain any Perl---.doc
> files hardly contain anything deserving of the appellation "text."

I have no idea what the new version of Visual Studio is going to look like,
but project files of the current version of Visual Studio is not as messy as
you might expect. The .vbp project file is a human-parsable text file,
believe it or not, and the .bas files only have a couple of (text) lines
over and above the user-typed text. The GUI .frm files include some suitably
horrendous auto-generated code, but it's not much harder to read than, say,
the code barfed out by glade, or the Automated Obfusticated Visual Basic
Code Generator that I wrote at work (in perl, of course--real language
for a real job).

Although past trend suggests that Microsoft will botch the first couple of
releases of Visual Perl or Visual Python completely--they never seem to get
anything right the first time--it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
I doubt they'll ever get me to use anything but emacs+Cygwin for my Win32
perl environment, but I'm willing to try whatever they come up with.

> [2]  And in another life I'm known as a strong detractor of Perl.
> Strange bedfellows....  Yes, Simon, you may quote me on TLUG.

Well, there's hope in you yet....:-)

--
Shimpei Yamashita                   <http://www2.gol.com/users/shimpei/>