Subject: Re: funding indirect services
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:28:03 -0700

At 6:33 PM -0700 7/18/00, Crispin Cowan wrote:
>I read your entire note. I have no idea what Meta is, or why I would ...

If you have read the entire Meta paper and have no idea what Meta is,
we have a serious communication problem; please get back to me offlist
so we can analyze and resolve it.  If you only read the fsb note (kept
intentionally short), you should not expect to understand what Meta is.

>  ... You want to be paid to do this.  Hmmm :-)

Yep, I do like to get paid when I do substantial amounts of work.  As a
matter of fact, I find it almost essential to paying the mortgage, etc.
Fortunately, this isn't an insoluble problem; I've been self-employed
for the last 25 years (see http://www.cfcl.com/rdm for details...).

I have already spent a fair amount of unpaid time working on this idea,
however, so I have a pretty good idea how much time it would take to
work up a reasonable "proof of concept" implementation.  Right now, I
don't have that many excess resources to give away.  If someone likes
my ideas enough to help, fine; if not, the project will be constrained
by my own resource limitations.  Sad, but that's the way it is...

>Just to stay topical, here's some suggestions on easy money:

I am aware of both of these possibilities, but thanks for the ideas.

My interest here, in any case, is not to discuss the specific merits of
the Meta proposal.  That's not an FSB topic, so it should be handled off
the list.  What I _do_ wish to discuss is the question of business models
for FSBs that serve the free software community as a whole.

Specifically, I suspect that there are a number of things that could and
should be done to "make things work better", but which conventional ways
of financing (e.g., by selling a product or service to an end user) don't
fit optimally.  Is anyone interested in discussing this issue?

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com