Subject: Re: funding indirect services
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:20:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Crispin> This effect does *not* scale up well: it is not easy to
>     Crispin> imagine how a company could profit from this.  You claim
>
> Ask Brian and Bernie.  You may find that others' imaginations are more
> powerful than yours in this dimension.  :-)

The only point I'll throw in is that sometimes there are tasks that "need
doing" on an open source project that are either too complex or too boring
or too large for the available volunteer resources at the time - and it's
not inappropriate to augment those volunteer resources with paid resources
so long as those paid resources follow the same meritocratic principles
that cause open source projects to generate high-quality code.  That's the
raison d'etre for both sXc and Cosource.

	Brian