Subject: Re: Why Open Source Sucks for the Consumer
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:41:14 -0400

> Many of the complaints about Windows are not M$'s fault.  They are
> a result of the flawed concept of requiring every user to become his/her
> own sys admin.
>
> The opportunity is the Internet appliance (in a wide variety of
> formats) will provide the Desktop user with access to all the applications
> they need over the network.

I understand what Bob is saying here, and I agree with him about management
and configuration (software and hardware), but I do not agree that M$ is out
of the loop here. The basic reason that these problems can't be solved on
Windows is that M$ didn't plan to make them solvable in architecting the
operating system.

In fairness to M$, they are evolving from a very old base, and none of this
was recognized as an issue at the time they started. Adding it on later is
essentially impossible. Of course, much the same could be said about UNIX
and Linux.

My concern w.r.t. Linux is that it *also* has not engineered for these sorts
of issues, and that (like M$) it won't be readily evolved in the right
directions. If you'll excuse the plug, this is one of the reasons that I
have remained committed to the EROS project in spite of various efforts to
lure me to other things.

shap